- Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews – I was disappointed that Andrea’s point of view was almost the same as Kate’s, sometimes I find myself forgetting that it is Andrea’s story. However I did enjoy Anubis appearance in that world. Also, I wished the romance between Andrea and Raphael was handled differently.
- Magic Gifts by Ilona Andrews – I made a mistake of reading this after Gunmetal Magic because the two stories actually overlaps. Also, nothing can compare to Kate and Curran’s relationship and dynamics. It was good to be back in Kate’s world.
- Lady Susan by Jane Austen – It took a while to get back to Austen’s writing. This was a bit short and I think watching Love and Friendship would make me enjoy the main character a bit more. In this tale, not everything ends up happily ever after.
- Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope – I suddenly picked this up because of Booktube and because I saw there was an old tv series The Barchester Chronicles with Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope. I really disliked the early chapters of the book because I just didn’t care about all the intrigues of the clergy. It became interesting when the female characters came in especially the romance part. There were some frustrating characters like Mr Harding who always remind me of the quote “the meek shall inherit the earth”. However I don’t think he will inherit the earth. Around the half-way point I was starting to enjoy the book and can’t wait to read the next one Doctor Thorne which also has a new tv adaptation. However the book took forever to read, it just went on and on and made me fall into a reading slump.
- Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan – It took me a while to find a book that I could push through with my reading slump. I haven’t read any Michael J. Sullivan before so I wasn’t sure with his style. Fortunately I found the book engaging, unexpected and filled with interesting characters. Because I knew the book was just the beginning of a long series, I did not expect the events to happen in such a way. I think this is the first time in years that I eagerly await the next book of a new series!
- A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George – I was excited to read this because the series was highly recommended by Booktuber Kate Howe. The writing was easy read however I felt distanced from the characters. I think the tension between Lynley, St James and Deborah just overwhelmed everything else. Also I don’t think it was the best book to start the series since Lynley wasn’t doing real detective work in the story. Also, his partner Detective Havers is not present and I have heard that there is a lot of tension between them which is not something I am eager to read about. I will probably read another book from the series if I ran out of books to read.